Monday, August 24, 2009

Update 5

While in Turkey, I also got to go to Istanbul, which is a city of about 13 million people. This city is unique in that is divided up onto two continents: Europe and Asia. The west side of the city is in Europe and the east side fo the city is located in Asia. The east and west sides of the city are separated by the Bospherus River. Istanbual (Constantinople) marked the city where the ancient Roman Empire was split between West and East. It is also the city that marked where Christianity and Islam collided. In the picture above, I was invited by the waiter (left) and the cook (right) to break Fast with them at their family restaurant during the 30 day Ramadan fasting period for Muslims.
Below is a picture of the food and family I got to eat with to break the daylight fasting period for this Turkish family. They own a restaurant and shut it down at 8:15 so they could eat together. They invited me to join.

Here is a picture of the Blue Mosque, one of the most used and most well known mosque in all of Turkey. I joined a tour group and went inside.


Along the way, our tour group took us to this leather factory. This leather factory was trying to sell their most stylish new line of leather clothing for the fall, and so they put on a fashion show for us.


Here is a picture of one of the ancient Roman ruins I came across while traveling in Turkey. I spent 6 days in Turkey, and spent most of my nights at cheap hostels, traveled overnight by buses, and spent money joining tour groups.




No comments: